Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ninth Day (update)...


Today was a good day. Dr. Strange was on duty. She says she's the "wet hen" of the bunch, but I don't know 'bout that. I think she's way smart and just very up front about everything. We all like her bunches, but then again all three of my docs are aces. Mommy was able to spend a good portion of the day with me. Her employer is making some schedule accommodations that allow her time with me. Working odd hours does take her away from other areas of life, but she nor Dad seem to mind. It's always good for my Mom to be right here.

I've gained about 30 more grams upping my weight to 1 lb. 12 oz. I hope I can keep this up! My breathing is still improving, but it is a slow go and I'll be on the SIPAP for a while yet. About three or four days ago they took an ultrasound of my head to make sure my brain area was normal. It came back "normal," but this doesn't mean I'm out of the woods, just good for now. There is always the possibility of a preemie developing a hemorrhage in this area (aka brain bleed) so y'all please pray that this doesn't become an issue. Also, they're still adjusting my electrolytes via IV medicine in order to find the happy medium my body operates best at. This type of treatment is necessary, but can cause liver problems. So, this is another area of concern.

Tomorrow has the potential to be a banner day. If I maintain my current status overnight then tomorrow I will be introduced to a greater volume of Mommy's milk, ie I will begin feeding through my OG tube (the tube you see in my mouth.) This is a slow process and it has my caregivers a little nervous, but that's normal. See, babies that come early run the risk of developing sores in their esophagus and stomach. These sores can be serious, even life threatening, especially when they start feeding. So, please pray this process is successful.

I know I have dropped a bunch of heavy stuff on you tonight, but I want you to know the deal so you can pray with understanding. I know it's all in God's hands, but I also know he leads us to pray for each other's needs in order to get the job done. There's a quote that expresses the idea this way, God does not move unless he first moves his people to pray. Well, I'm done for the evening. Little boys needs their sleep. I'll chat at ya in the AM. JSR, out.

No comments: