Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fifteenth Day (update)...

I hope y'all had a great day. Well, I went back on the ventilator early this afternoon. It's a step backwards, but it's not the worst thing that could have happened. A ventilator is a great tool that saves lives, but when a preemie is on one, the risks for long-term lung damage is very real. It's a risk you have to take because proper breathing is so crucial to a baby's development. The initial results from the blood cultures came back as negative for an infection. That's good, but we will know for sure after 96 hours from the time they took the blood since some infections take that long to show up. After going on the vent my O2 & CO2 levels improved and my heart rate stabilized. It's looking like fatigue was the root cause of the problems I was having. So, just keep praying for my strength to improve and for the ventilator to do what the docs, and I, want it to do. That's all for now, I'm gonna hit the rack. JSR, out.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You have a precious little boy! I have a 2yr old that was a former 658 gram 25wkr.