Monday, March 10, 2008

Twenty-First Day...


Last night was a really good night. My nurse, Kim, and I hung out all night, but it got busy late yesterday and I didn't have a chance to update you. Sorry. This is a big update so here it goes.

Dr. Strange upped my feedings from 2 cc to 3 cc every three hours, which I am handling just fine. PRAISE! I have gained some actual weight, not just retained fluid, and am up to a whopping 1 lb. 15 oz., PRAISE! Cherie, one of my RT's, hooked me up to this thing that provides better suction. She figured out that one reason my labs weren't consistent was my high level of mucus/saliva production. (Remember, I am a very drooly baby, which is a good thing.) My stats would begin to waver on the monitors and someone would suction me and my stats would improve, go figure? Anyway, this little device enables the nurses & RT's to suction me more often with minimal discomfort, a fact I really like! So, my labs have begun to gain some consistency. This is not a fix all but it does help, PRAISE! Also, if I keep things up throughout the AM they might try to extubate (take me off the ventilator) later today. That would be HUGE! So, I'll bet you can guess what we're praying for today. Yep...steady breathing efficiency, stamina in the art/act of breathing, continued success in feedings, lots of sleep, and a good BM. I know that's a lot, but like I said things got busy late yesterday.

All the praise for this good report belongs to God and the NICU staff. The Lord continues to be faithful and the people here continue to be just awesome in their gentle and thorough care for me. However, there is something very important I want/need everyone to remember. Preemies grow by the two steps forward one step back principle. So, don't be shocked if I regress some in one of these areas. It won't mean all has been for nothing, somebody did something wrong, or God has forgotten me. No, it's just the way the world works in the NICU. So, keep the faith that God knows what he's doing and whatever happens is what he wants. Y'all keep praying and I'll keep growing. Later, JSR.

Psalm 150
Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary:
praise him in the firmament of his power.
Praise him for his mighty acts:
praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet:
praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance:
praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals:
praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.
Praise ye the LORD.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Jonathan,
It is so wonderful to hear about your great day. The kids will be so happy to hear that you are gaining weight. They pray for this everyday. They can't wait to meet you. Our discussion this morning was if we would always call you baby Jonathan. Alex wants to just call you Jonathan, and Sydney likes John, Kenzie still likes baby Jonathan.
I hope you have a day full of blessings.
Love,
Jamie

Paige M said...

We missed you at church. Hope y'all were able to rest some.

Anonymous said...

Hey little one.
We returned from Grayson Ga. and I am so pleased you are doing so well. Yes I know the nicu drill since we went through that with our preemie great grandsons but I pray every day for you to have all your stats come up good!!

Jon Jon's Granny